Telšiai district municipality is located in the northwest of Lithuania in the Vidurio (Central) Žemaitija Upland. A smaller part of the municipality is situated in the Venta Lowland.
The Alka Samogitian Museum was officially established in 1932.
The first landmarks of the understanding of museum values in the history of Rietavas were formed by the princes Oginskis.
Telšiai Bernardine Monastery and Priests' Seminary Building Complex – a spiritual monument of special value