Kretinga district municipality is situated in Klaipėda county, to the north from Klaipėda district municipality. At the north-western border of the district flows Šventoji, at the eastern one – one of the most beautiful rivers in Žemaitija region – Minija.
The Kretinga museum was opened on 12 July 1935. It was established by the teacher Juozas Žilvitis, who donated all his collections to the museum.
The Earl of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Count Jonas Karol Chodkevičius, with his wife Sofia, sought to distract the population from paganism and protect it from the spread of Prussian Protestantism.
In 1610–1617, a brick church and monastery were built under the initiative of the Samogitian elder and hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Jonas Chodkevičius.
Kartena hillfort, also known as the hill of Castle, Swedes or Luztis, is situated in front of Kartena town, on the opposite bank of the River Minija.